1.1.10 Problem: mv and directories in use

Dwight Schauer das@teegra.net
Tue Apr 2 03:50:00 GMT 2002

I believe the main source of the problem is a Windows "BUG" (Not really a
bug, that is how Windows is "intended" to work). Anyways, it is an
undesirable "feature" for sure, and very annoying when in the Cygwin
enviornment. For the average joe Windows user in Windows Explorer it "kind
of" makes sense that Windows works this way.

If bash (or cmd) is in a particular directory just sitting at the prompt,
that directory is in use, then that problem will arise if the directory is
attempted to be moved. It is very annoying. As a partial work around, bash
could be maybe modified to never "sit" in the current directory, but instead
to hang out on the root of the drive, and only switch to the current
directory when a command is run.

A similar problem (due to the same, or related, Windows "BUG") manifests
itself if you try to overwrite an executable that has an instance of itself
currently running. That is a very annoying "feature" as well.

Though I agree with you, it would be nice if mv said ahead of time that it
could not do it and saved me the clean up hassles when it fails.