Strange Crond behavior

Michael Lang michi@jackal-net.at
Mon Apr 1 13:15:00 GMT 2002

Hi Larry

Thanks for answering ... but i´ve already readed the dos and tried using the install steps .. I now used cygrunsrv -I cron -d "Cron" -p /usr/sbin/cron -a "-D" -1 /var/log/cron.log -2 /var/log/cron.log for service installation.
It now works ... *strange* maybe the EventLog tells some more defusing informations than needed.

Thanks for your answer anyway

Greetz mIke

Michael Lang				           System Engineer
Jackal-net.at				    Tel: +43 664 12 42 947
Austria, Europe			  	    Fax: +43   1 734 82 34
http://www.jackal-net.at            michael.lang@jackal-net.at

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) [mailto:lhall@rfk.com]
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2002 4:39 PM
To: Michael Lang; cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Strange Crond behavior

At 05:47 AM 4/1/2002, Michael Lang wrote:
>Hello to all
>
>Sorry for bothering but I didn´t find an issue for these strange behavior of the Crond .
>
>Does someone knows why using cron as service doesn't start any scheduled tasks ? Event Error :
>
>Using /usr/sbin/cron -D
>  > seteuid: Not owner

<snip>

>0x9D0 : Cygwin Process Id = 0x9D0 : (CRON) error (can't switch user context).

The problem?  Looks like the same old one to me.  You're not running cron as
SYSTEM.  It seems many folks don't follow directions and don't check the email
archives when they have a problem as a result.  Read the README and follow
the instructions there.  If you still have problems, check the email archives
for similar questions.  There should be plenty of information in these two
avenues to solve this issue.  If not, you'll need to be more specific about
why the standard configuration doesn't work for you.