Moving Cygwin Install dir

Steven E. Bailey nospam@newsweekly.net
Wed Sep 26 17:18:00 GMT 2001

Actually, I just did this, I copied the cygwin directory installed on
another machine to a new one (This is all Win98) - but I didn't install
everything, I just installed the binutils using setup and then deleted the
newly installed directory and copied the old directory to the new path.

Here is a diff of what changed in the registry with the install:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/]
"native"="D:/cygwin"
"flags"=dword:0000000a

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/bin]
"native"="D:/cygwin/bin"
"flags"=dword:0000000a

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/lib]
"native"="D:/cygwin/lib"
"flags"=dword:0000000a

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Cygnus Solutions]

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin]

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2]
"cygdrive prefix"="/cygdrive"
"cygdrive flags"=dword:00000022

Conceivable it should be possible to edit the registry by hand and add
these or change the mount points if these entries already exist.  Or it
should also work to create a cygwin.reg file with this in it and just
double-click that file (although I haven't tested it, so I don't know if it
works...):

REGEDIT

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2 \/\native =
D:/cygwin
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2 \/\flags =
dword:0000000a
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts
v2\/usr/bin\native = D:/cygwin/bin
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts
v2\/usr/bin\flags = dword:0000000a]
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts
v2\/usr/lib\native = D:/cygwin/lib
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts
v2\/usr/lib\flags = dword:0000000a
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\cygdrive
prefix = /cygdrive
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\cygdrive
flags = dword:00000022

 >RE: Moving Cygwin Install dir
 >
 >   * To: "Brian Michael Genisio" <genisiob at pilot dot msu dot
edu>,<cygwin at sources dot redhat dot com>
 >    * Subject: RE: Moving Cygwin Install dir
 >   * From: "Ronald Landheer" <info at rlsystems dot net>
 >    * Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 21:24:33 +0200
 >
 > Any ideas to get it back to normal?
 >Yup: re-install using setup.
 >Putting everything in a zip or tarball doesn't take the registry entries
along, so they stay behind, so Cygwin is >not installed.

 >Just re-install the packages, that won't damage your data (unless you've
been working on cygwin sources, in >which it might work if you re-install
and than unroll your tarball over the cygwin tree.