icecast-1.3.11 port to cygwin

Li-Kai Liu news@likai.net
Sun Sep 16 16:18:00 GMT 2001

i'm just a poor fellow trying to port icecast to cygwin, and i'm not
associated with icecast development team. :(

as i'm still studying the case myself, i just felt that I could make
announcement based on what I already know. apparantly icecast uses their
own thread management functions that traces active threads within the
process. in cygwin prior to 1.3.3, icecast would complain during
thread_init that "mt: thread never made to life ... weird" while the
same time it says something like "unknown thread is running." I've
reported to the icecast team and all they told me was not to use cygwin
because pthread is broken. all I know is icecast tries to check the
thread pointer using pthread_self() function and for some reason it
doesn't return a reliable value.

i have a question though: does pthread_detach() in cygwin (before 1.3.3)
change anything that is returned from pthread_self()? because i noticed
how, after creating the thread, icecast calls this function. i strongly
feel this has something to do with the phenomenon. anyhow, this problem
is not present in cygwin 1.3.3 anymore, so i'd like to focus on other
two problems.

- inability to catch signal ... i have no idea where to start finding
the source of problem for this. can you give me a hint?
- coredump when waiting for threads to exit ... i will study this some more.

and as i said at the beginning, i'm not an active developer for icecast,
so i'm just trying to bring icecast over to cygwin. the icecast
developers don't seem to be keen about this port. (also, this is *not*
my program).

liulk