frivolous naming suggestion

Corinna Vinschen cygwin@cygwin.com
Thu Sep 13 13:24:00 GMT 2001

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 03:02:27PM -0500, David Monk wrote:
> > The Cygwin net release process is more related to Linus's release of
> > kernels than to Red Hat's release of commercial packages.
> >
> > AFAIK, Linus does not code name his releases.
> >
> > Since Red Hat does not really release a commercial product called
> > "Cygwin", I think that the analogy doesn't really holds up.
>
>  I get that the actual cygwin1.dll is similar to just the Linux kernel that
> Linus releases. But would you not consider the Cygwin net release as a type
> of UNIX-like distribution to a degree? Especially since it is a compilation
> of many packages. It seems it would make since to have "kernel" (dll)
> updates, but also full net distribution releases.
>
> Just a thought.

Yeah, but the problem is that we don't have a real distribution
release.  The packages are updated as needed so there's no fixed
date that you could define as `release X of Cygwin'.  At which
point would you then define the release of distro "Donald" and
the begin of the development of "Scrooge"?

If we decide to use nicknames for Cygwin release they could only
be fixed to the releases of the Cygwin DLL itself, AFAICS.

Besides that, I like the idea.  It gives the release of a DLL
a sort of a personality.  I just wouldn't like to be bound to
the names of a band I don't know...

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.