"Start" in cygwin.bat

Markus Hoenicka Markus.Hoenicka@uth.tmc.edu
Wed Sep 12 14:19:00 GMT 2001

FWIW I run NT4.0 and use a link to cygwin.bat on my
desktop. cygwin.bat reads:

@echo off
d:
chdir \cygwin\bin
bash --login -i

The terminal window bash runs in does have the Cygwin icon. When I
logout, there is no "Terminate batch jobs" question. What you're
describing apparently is a new M$ feature.

regards,
Markus

Alex Malinovich writes:
 > For those of you who are using "start" to invoke bash from cygwin.bat,
 > just a quick update. (This works in 2K and XP, don't know about the
 > others.) If you want to keep your nifty little Cygwin icon in the window
 > rather than having it switch to a command prompt icon, just run start
 > with the /B parameter. E.g. start /B bash --login -I
 >
 > Never did hear anything from the core developer folks on this btw.
 > Should this be a default 'setting' in cygwin.bat? Using "start" works on
 > EVERY version of Windows since 95. Some of the parameters MAY be
 > different between the versions (I only have an XP and a 2K machine to
 > test on right now.), but "start" itself will work, and will eliminate
 > the "Terminate batch job?" question on logout. Or, as Michael suggested:
 >
 > "Or, better yet, don't use a batch file at all.  Create an icon that
 > starts in <drive>:\Path-to-cygwin\bin that launches bash."
 >
 > -Alex
 >

 > --

Markus Hoenicka, PhD
UT Houston Medical School
Dept. of Integrative Biology and Pharmacology
6431 Fannin MSB4.114
Houston, TX 77030
(713) 500-6313, -7477
(713) 500-7444 (fax)