Virus Found

Michael Schaap cygwin@mscha.com
Mon Sep 10 17:10:00 GMT 2001

At 01:36 11-9-2001, Mark Gordon wrote:
> >On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 04:27:40PM -0600, Troy Noble wrote:
> >> Hah!  That's good.
> >>
> >> And I also saw Chuck's note about scp working... so maybe it's a
> non-issue.
> >
> >But that's not quite true.  This was a long discussed topic on
> >the openssh-usinx-dev mailing list about the unluck interference
> >of profile output and scp... Hrm, it's some months ago, I
> >wonder if it's solved somehow and I didn't pay attention...
>
>I was recently (within the past few weeks) having problems with scp
>due to this, so it is still a potential problem with some systems.
>
>If people are seriously interested I can investigate this further. It
>may be that one of the systems involved has an old version of ssh
>causing the problem.

I don't think this should be a problem - /etc/profile is only called for
login shells.

I just tested my RedHat box (running openssh 2.5.2p2), and this works as it
should:
         $ ssh machine
runs /etc/profile, but
         $ ssh machine ls
and
         $ scp machine:file .
do not.

  - Michael

--
     I always wondered about the meaning of life.   So I looked it
     up in the dictionary under "L" and there it was - the meaning