Automake/Autoconf

Brett Porter brettporter@yahoo.com
Sun Sep 9 17:32:00 GMT 2001

just my 2 cents on this...

I had quite a few troubles when I upgraded these
packages, but no more than trying to use libtool with
the older ones. It took very little time to upgrade.
autoupdate did some of the work, but still didn't
upgrade everything. I was a little surprised with the
major changes to the way it seems to work (I admit I
haven't looked into it fully) - it almost seems worthy
of a major version increment :)

As to whether cygwin should go with which version, I'd
suggest if everything in the cygwin distribution (I
guess these are the "officially supported packages")
compiles out of the box, I wouldn't worry about it. If
not, stay with 2.13/1.4 until they do. Anyone that
needs the new functionality can probably go and
download the new versions themselves and live with the
problems.

And while I'm posting, a big round of applause for the
cygwin team in the International Year of the
Volunteer. Good job.
I loved the quote about free software being something
where you scratch your own itch. It doesn't hurt to
ask for help, but if someone says no (with valid
reason), there's no right to demand it if you aren't
willing to do it yourself.

Cheers guys!
- Brett