Windows XP Fix

Greg Fodor gf24@cornell.edu
Sun Sep 9 08:30:00 GMT 2001

Well, I was getting a error in allocating the heap when running a cygwin
program within another cygwin program (this, from reading the archives,
seems to be the main Windows XP issue.) The error disappeared completely
by replacing bash.exe from the older install and executing programs from
within that shell. If I try to execute programs from within cmd.exe
which call other programs (tar cfz for example, which executes gzip from
within tar) the problem persists.. however from within the older
bash.exe it does not occur.

I figured this out via a painful process of elimination of files between
an older copied functional install on XP and a newly installed from the
net non-functional install on XP.

Regardless of what you state the problem to be, I'm running a handful of
daemons and working in a cygwin environment under Windows XP as I type
this and was not able to do so until I copied over the old bash.exe. I
don't know enough about cygwin's internals to extrapolate what this
means, but that's what I have to present to the list for people who are
having the same problem.

Basically the internal nature of the issue makes no difference to me
(nor, I'd guess, to 99% of the people who want cygwin to run on XP.)
Upon your own investigation and confirmation, it might be a good idea to
put a small blurb on the front page as this being a temporary quick fix
to the problem.

Thanks.

-Greg