Setup.exe = ARRRGHGHGH @#$##@ stuborn program

Corinna Vinschen cygwin@cygwin.com
Thu Sep 6 00:19:00 GMT 2001

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 08:13:28PM -0400, Joe (theWordy) Philbrook wrote:
> Hi I just started the process of subscribing to the digest version of
> this list. { but have yet to download the message the web page said I
> gotta reply to to actually start getting the digest...}
>
> So I don't know if I'll get any [in-list] replies to this or not
>
> I'm not a "computer pro" but I'm more comfortable with cli than ANY
> flavor of point n' click. So the idea of being able to add a functional
> bash with user friendly editors like vim to the win95 side of my dual
> boot win/linux box sounded wonderful.
>
> So yesterday I downloaded cygwin's setup.exe [having nearly a gig of
> room on my E: drive I elected to download the whole thing.]
>
> Aggravation number 1)
> there didn't seam to be any way to select/deselect packages with the
> keyboard and after all that clicking with a mouse my hand starts going
> numb... first mirror I tried couldn't download, so I tried another and
> had to select them all again [sigh]

If you selected all packages by hand you probably clicked in
all the checkboxes. These checkboxes are _not_ to select a
binary package but just to select if you want to download the
sources of that package as well.  Did you notice the headline
right above the checkboxes? "Src?"

> Aggravation number 2)
> But since the download only moves about 2 to 3 K per sec [is normal?]

You've choosen a slow mirror for some reason. Bad luck.

> But I can't seam to find any way to convince setup.exe to only download
> the packages I select in the current session, and frankly I don't have
> the time to simply let it download the whole thing again...

Try clicking on the package version with the headline "New". It changes
state between the available versions and "Skip" (and if you've already
installed that package, "Keep", "Uninstall", "Reinstall").

> What do I have to do to get setup.exe to stop using the old download
> list????

In theory it shouldn't.  If a package archive has already been
downloaded and is still in the local package directory it's not
downloaded again.

However, use setup again w/o downloading the source packages.
It should be way faster. And use another mirror.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.