/dev/nst0: Permission denied

Mark Himsley mark@mdsh.com
Wed Sep 5 09:37:00 GMT 2001

Hi Corinna,

Sorry to have taken so long to come back to you, I was trying to get some
work done...

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001 14:14:09 +0200 you wrote:

>> $ cat /dev/nst0
>> cat: /dev/nst0: Permission denied
>>
>> Why is this, and how can I read the DAT tape.
>
>Wrong blocksize. Call `mt -f /dev/nst0 status 2' with tape in
>drive.  It will show you the blocksize currently set in the
>NT tape device driver (often 512), e.g.:

Interesting thought. I was sure that I *had* done 'mt -f /dev/nst0 setblk
0' before I started, which was what I did just before I wrote the DAT in
Linux, but obviously I hadn't. You have solved that problem :-)

One other point. I have managed to completely lock-up Cygwin, requiring a
reboot to free up the DAT drive, by trying to `cat` a DAT tape which was
actually a `tar`. On Linux I get the error:

linux # cat /dev/nst0
cat: /dev/nst0: Cannot allocate memory

but on Cygwin `cat` hangs for ever and Cygwin has to be killed.
If I restart Cygwin and try to do anything with the DAT drive before
rebooting I get errors like:

Win2K $ mt -f /dev/nst0 status
TapeStatus: 6: The handle is invalid.

mt: Error reporting Tape status