Slight problem with setup.exe utility

Ronald Landheer info@rlsystems.net
Tue Sep 4 05:37:00 GMT 2001

Hello all,

I've installed Cygwin quite a while ago, but as I had a severe computer
crash yesterday, I had to re-install both Windows and cygwin from
scratch. I had some old downloads lying around, in which the cygwin
tarball was called cygwin-1.3.2-1.tar.gz while it is now called cygwin-
1.3.2-1.tar.bz2. I don't know what the reason of the filename change is
- as there is no version change here, but it confuses the setup utility:
it does not say that my cygwin is old, but it refuses to unpack because
the .bz2 file doesn't exist.

To be on the safe side, I renamed the old tarball and ran setup again -
in stead of just editing the setup.ini file, which was the first thought
that crossed my mind.

Because I'm in the process of installing cygwin now, I can't quite start
digging into the setup code (yet), but there are probably more capable
people for this anyway (i.e. its authors). In any case, the setup
utility seems to be behaving properly: the versioning algorithm does
exactly what it's supposed to do. The error is a human one, isn't it?

Just thought y'all might like to know..

Greetz!

Ronald