more info on execvp problem

Don Sharp dwsharp@iee.org
Mon Oct 22 10:12:00 GMT 2001

Charles Wilson wrote:

> Pavel Tsekov wrote:
>
> > I was sure there will be a response like this - in short since as we
> > both
> > agree is posix internally (if noone messed with it) - you get this as
> > result
> > of getenv("PATH"):
> >
> > c:/jdk1.3.1/bin:/usr/local/bin:...:c:/usr/local/emacs/bin
>
> Listen carefully: as Chris has already pointed out, that is NOT a posix
> path.  THIS is a posix path:
>
> /cygdrive/c/jdk1.3.1/bin:/usr/local/bin:...:/cygdrive/c/usr/local/emacs/bin
>
> Or, if you have mounted C:\ as /c (like I do on my boxes):
>
> /c/jdk1.3.3/bin:/usr/local/bin:...:/c/usr/local/emacs/bin
>
> See?  There are NO ':' characters EXCEPT the path delimiters in a POSIX
> PATH variable.
>
> --Chuck

I think it is you that is missing the point. It is perfectly legal to
have a path like

PATH=chuck:/bin....

but if the directory happens to be called "c" rather than "chuck" then
we have the problem as the PATH would now be
PATH=c:/bin....

We either say you can't do that or deal with it.

Cheers

Don Sharp

P.S. Sorry for the personally addressed reply Chuck.