mutt + .mailcap: problem

Gary R Van Sickle tiberius@braemarinc.com
Tue Oct 16 17:13:00 GMT 2001

> Hello experts,
>
> on my system, mutt seems to ignore the .mailcap contents. I've tried
> this with a .mailcap file with the following contents (but it applies
> to other test configurations as well):
>
> text/html; lynx %s
>
> (The file is read from a binary mount, and the line ends with a LF
> only.) When I open a mail containing a text/html attachment, mutt
> displays the error message "mailcap entry for type text/html not
> found". The output from running mutt with strace proves that it really
> has read the .mailcap file (I can provide the strace log if necessary).
>
> The problem does not occur with the mutt on my Linux box. I've
> searched this mailing list and mutt documentation available on the web
> but not found any hint. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Probably nothing, it's likely something I'm doing wrong (I'm the current
Cygwin mutt maintainer ;-)).  I'm currently working on the 1.3.x release,
(well, banging my head against the wall is more accurate ;-)), but maybe I
need to revisit 1.2.x one last time before that.  In the meantime, could you
try the following and report back with the results?:

- Try changing .mailcap to Windows-format and temporarily text-mount your
home dir.  AFAIK this shouldn't make any difference (it's the main thing I
fixed in the current build), but I might have missed something.
- Try a non-text MIME type in .mailcap (one that isn't handled by default)
and send yourself a matching attachment and see if that works.  Mutt's man
page says that mailcap is for "user definition for handling non-text MIME
types", so perhaps you're just "getting lucky" on Linux.

TIA,

Gary R. Van Sickle
Braemar Inc.
11481 Rupp Dr.