rsh: "Permission denied" on file creation. Cygwin 1.3.3 on W2K Adv Srv SP2.

Corinna Vinschen cygwin@cygwin.com
Tue Oct 16 01:23:00 GMT 2001

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 12:19:09PM -0400, Peter Buckley wrote:
> Ummm.... I don't understand why home directories on
> a network share would ever be "public". I thought that
> root on unix could read whatever it wanted
> (including home directories on network shares,
> hence SYSTEM is NOT equivalent), but this
> idea of public sounds like anyone (the guest user) or
> some intruder could read the contents of my home
> directory on a network share without authenticating.
> That just sounds silly, so maybe I need someone to
> explain this idea of "public" to me.

You shouldn't make your shares public.  But then you can't
use them with rsh also.  Use telnet or ssh with password
authentication then.  The problem is that when rsh/ssh
are running under SYSTEM account and you're logging in
without password authentication, no real logon takes place
but just a user context switch.  Without the password,
how should the application inside of your session know how
to authenticate against servers?  That's the whole problem.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.