"chmod a+x filename" shows no effect on W2K

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Tue Oct 9 10:22:00 GMT 2001

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 01:15:25PM -0400, Peter Buckley wrote:
>Feel free to suspect cockpit errors :-)
>
>But all I can say is that chmod didn't work, and then I made zero
>changes, and while I was sending emails to the list, chmod started
>working again.  The only possible change I made to my system was
>opening or closing IIRC an unrelated windows application.  Maybe that
>was it?

Who knows?  As I mentioned, since you are the only person experiencing
the problem, I don't think that is helpful to prematurely warn people
about the situation.

As an analogy, if I had a Honda Civic with a dead battery in my driveway,
it would not be appropriate for me to drive to the Honda dealership and
inform potential Honda buyers that "Hondas have a battery problem".

It could be that there was a battery problem with Hondas but the mere fact
that the battery was dead does not provide enough supporting evidence to
allow me to make this generalization.

Similarly, telling people that chmod doesn't always work because that seemed
to be what was happening in your case is not really helpful unless you've
some statistics indicating that this is not just a problem specific to you,
your system, your network, etc.

cgf