offering a patch- was [Setup feature query/suggestion!]

Robert Collins robert.collins@itdomain.com.au
Fri Oct 5 03:33:00 GMT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Buckley" <peter.buckley@cportcorp.com>
> Rest of the list-
>
> Is this something that would be appropriate for
> setup.exe to do, or should it be a separate package?

Thats really up to whoever puts the effort in.

> Should it be a gui, or a command line thing?

Why force a choice? do both.

> I'm sure
> I could write a bash script or makefile to do this.
> Are there those on the list who would help me out by
> providing suggestions on the logic that I should use?
>
> I can envision a command like-
>
> apt-get clean /cygdrive/c/cygwin
>
> And the script would look in /cygdrive/c/cygwin
> for a "latest" and "contrib" directory, and then
> go through each package and rm the old ones. But
> rather than compare modification times or version
> numbers in the filenames, is there a sure way to
> make sure we are only removing the packages that are
> older than what is installed- maybe parsing through
> cygcheck output?

If I can offer a couple of observations:
1) There is currently no persistent storage of the install archive
directory. A patch to cygwin to make /var/cache/setup (for example) a
symlink to the location the package cache is in would achieve this in a
simple fashion.
2) The logic to parse /etc/setup.db is already present in setup.exe. So
it would be easier IMO to build a couple of options - say
"remove all files not listed in the current setup.ini" and
"remove all files that have a more recent version installed" - via
setup.exe than
to reinvent that logic (and keep it updated as setup.exe changes).

Rob