bash 2.04 can't complete ~/name if $HOME set to c:/users/foo?

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Tue Oct 2 20:18:00 GMT 2001

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 09:56:22PM -0400, Jeff Mincy wrote:
>   From: Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com>
>   Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 15:53:11 -0400
>
>   Lets try again.  Cygwin has several environment variables that it
>   translates back and forth between MS-DOS and UNIX format.  Two obvious
>   ones are PATH and HOME.
>
>   When a cygwin process is first started, it translates these variables from
>   MS-DOS format to UNIX format for its internal use.  In most cases, when cygwin
>   execs a new process it converts these environment variables back into MS-DOS
>   format so that the new process can see native MS-DOS paths.
>
>I was wondering where those backslashes were coming from.
>My xemacs is being started up with HOME=c:\home\jmincy - and I had to
>put in an explicit cd in my .emacs to fix the path.
>
>My autoexec.bat has the following two lines.
>
>set HOME=c:/home/jmincy
>set PATH=c:\Cygwin\bin;c:\Cygwin\usr\bin;c:\Cygwin\usr\local\bin;C:\PROGRA~1\MSOFFICE\OFFICE;%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\Tcl\bin;
>
>Maybe a slightly tweaked improvement would be to do the dos/unix path
>conversion only for environment variables that start off in DOS
>format.

c:/home/jmincy is still MS-DOS format.  The Windows API allows you to
use '\' and '/' interchangeably.  We still want to translate that into
/cygdrive/c/home/mincy for Cygwin's purposes so not converting it is
not the right solution.

In any event, I don't have any plans on changing the current method.
The HOME conversion has been around for probably four years or so.

cgf