New Install May Have a Bug

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Sat Nov 17 15:47:00 GMT 2001

Robert Collins wrote:

> On Wed, 2001-11-28 at 09:38, Heribert Dahms wrote:
>
>>what do you think about categories like minimal, typical, (custom), full,
>>new,
>>with typical as default?
>>

> I think there's confusion here: categories are applied to what a package
> is or does, not to the particular configuration it may fit into.
>
> What you are talking about is metapackages, which are implemented via
> categories, but need a new screen to allow the choice - simply for user
> clarity - as setup.exe can handle those packages now.

Right, but the 'Base' category is both a "category" in the sense you
describe, AND a metapackage(sortof) -- simply because everything in
'Base' is automatically installed.

Hence "add foo to 'Base'" really means "add foo to 'required' metapackage".

But I get what you're saying; 'Base' seems to be THE special case.  In
all other cases, 'categories' != 'metapackage'

--Chuck