Fwd: Re: DNS server LaMaraDNS is running on cygwin

Gerrit P. Haase gp@familiehaase.de
Wed Nov 14 03:43:00 GMT 2001

Hallo Christopher,

Am 2001-11-21 um 04:15 schriebst du:

>>I have successful compiled ?LaMaraDNS! ( http://www.maradns.org/ )
>>?LaMaraDNS! is an alpha-quality authoritative and recursive (caching)
>>DNS server.

> Cool.  Does this provide us with libresolv.a, too?

Nope, I don't think so.

But there are alternative client libraries, aka 'stub resolver' like
'ares':
ftp://athena-dist.mit.edu/pub/ATHENA/ares/ which includes two
executables, 'adig' and 'ahost' as examples how to write interfaces and
'adns':
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ian/adns/ which includes three
executables 'adnslogres', 'adnsresfilter', 'adnshost' .

Both are building OOTB and provide a similar interface as libresolv.

I have a version of 'ares' up at my site:
http://timtowtdi.topcities.com/cygwin/ares/

I have also a modified standalone libresolv version taken from ZMailer
which was taken from bind-4.9.4-REL/res/ but this needs some sanitizing.

Ciao,

Gerrit P. Haase                            mailto:gp@familiehaase.de
--
=^..^=