ssh as SOCKS server

Shun-ichi GOTO gotoh@taiyo.co.jp
Sun Nov 11 08:26:00 GMT 2001

> I'm trying out the new Dynamic port forwarding
> feature of ssh, testing on the local machine.
> My tired brain must be missing something.
>
> I initiate the connection:
>
>  ssh -vvv -D8000 localhost
>
> enter my passphrase, and successfully begin a session.
>
> Now I use a browser configured to use a SOCKS4
> proxy at port 8000.  I try to load a URL and get
> some repetitive blocks of debug messages, ending
> with:

I tried same setting and get same message.
So I change proxy setting of browser (I'm using IE6) as
setting SOCKS4 as localhost / 8000 and other entries
as ALL EMPTY. Then I succeeded.

Is this help you?

Of course, you should be able to resolve hostname on localhost.
Dynamic forwarding support only SOCKS protocol version 4 (not 4a).

--- Regards,
 Shun-ichi Goto  <gotoh@taiyo.co.jp>
   R&D Group, TAIYO Corp., Tokyo, JAPAN