[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: vim-6.0.46-1

Tyler Close tjclose@yahoo.com
Mon Nov 5 13:42:00 GMT 2001

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>What a funny idea.

Perhaps, but I am not imagining this behaviour. If you run the Cygwin
/bin/vim.exe from an MS-DOS shell, with no .vimrc file, you will get two
errors of the type:

Cannot execute shell sh

E79: Cannot expand wildcards

If you use the /usr/share/vim/vim60/vimrc_example.vim file as your .vimrc,
you get a multitude of these errors.

With no .vimrc file, starting /bin/vim.exe from the bash shell causes the
Cygwin window title to switch between VIM and bash a few times. Using the
/usr/share/vim/vim60/vimrc_example.vim, the Cygwin window title changes a
multitude of times.

>- The .vimrc file does not start any subshell as long as there's no
>   :sh commmand or such.

Given these two sets of behaviour, it does not seem unreasonable to suppose
that /bin/vim.exe is causing several shells to execute. I agree that this
should not be happening, but it appears to be the case. I would appreciate
it if you would attempt to verify my observations and diagnose the problem.

>- There's no default vimrc file in that package anymore.

I was referring to /usr/share/vim/vim60/vimrc_example.vim

>- all vim script files (including .vimrc) must be in binary line
>   ending mode.  Convert all CRLF to FL.

Given that I just copied the file (/usr/share/vim/vim60/vimrc_example.vim)
to my home directory and renamed it to .vimrc, I assume that the line
termination is that desired by the program.

>Please don't Cc me in a mail to the list.  I'm reading the list on
>a regular basis and I can do w/o two copies of the same posting.
>Keep Cygwin stuff on list.

Apologies. On other lists I use, the custom is to CC the author.

Tyler