How do I figure out why LogonUserA is failing?

David Starks-Browning starksb@ebi.ac.uk
Thu Nov 1 20:48:00 GMT 2001

On Tuesday 13 Nov 01, Corinna Vinschen writes:
> LogonUser/CreateProcessAsUser need special user rights.  This rights
> are not given to user accounts, not even to admins.  Only SYSTEM has
> that user rights by default.  That's the reason that login only
> works when started from telnetd or rlogind, started from inetd which
> itself is running as service under SYSTEM account.
>
> login(1) is not intended for use on the command line under Cygwin.
>
> Shouldn't we create a FAQ for that?

There is already something about why there is no su, but it goes on to
say (indirectly) that login(1) may be a substitute.  I will amend it to
include the information you provide above.

(I don't know about this stuff myself, so I can't put it in the FAQ
until I get concise, pithy emails like this one.  Thanks Corinna!)

Cheers,
David