Cygwin Setup 2.54

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Tue May 29 06:49:00 GMT 2001

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 09:24:02PM -0400, Charles S. Wilson wrote:
> >"Fred T. Hamster" wrote:
> >>   is the official installation process now involving a bunch of registry
> >> edits before cygwin can be installed again, or is this setup program
> >> actually quite busted?
> >
> >It appears that the new setup program is not operating correctly for
> >SOME users.  This may be because setup itself is broken, or because the
> >affected users have some wierdness in their local machine.
> >
> >In my case, I just used the new setup.exe to update a pre-existing
> >install (that is, I used it to install the most recent inetutils,
> >openssh, and python packages -- I already had older versions of those
> >packages installed).
> >
> >It worked flawlessly.
>
> Prediction:  It will work flawlessly for every person who is remotely
> capable of debugging it.
>
> The problems with weird directories being created sounds a lot like
> random memory corruption.  Wish I could reproduce it.
>
> Maybe I should try building it with electric fence or something.

Don't you find it strange that the people that are having problems are
the ones that are deleting their previous installation?  The workaround
to this problem is don't delete your current installation, just use
setup with the current installation.

Setup is designed to read control files to know what you've installed
already.  It will only download what it thinks is necessary.

--
Earnie.