bluescreen during XF86/cygwin build

Dave Cook dcook@caveduck.com
Sat May 26 21:54:00 GMT 2001

Chris Faylor wrote:
> >I realize that cygwin doesn't install any actual drivers, but it pushes
> >the filesystem in ways that W2K may not expect :)
>
> No, it doesn't actually.  It just uses standard Win32 API calls.
>
> With an OS like W2K there is really no way that Cygwin should be able to
> cause a blue screen.  If it does, it's an OS bug, not a Cygwin bug.

You can't necessarily just tell the customer "it's Microsoft's problem".  I'm a veteran of
those wars...we did an NT server product a couple of years back that ran into a Win32 call
that leaked ~1KB of nonpaged memory every time you used it in a certain perfectly legal
way.  Not harmful for normal apps, but fatal for a server that wanted to run for weeks.
>From a customer centric view, if I can run command X on a normally configured Linux box
and it works, but the same supposedly supported command fails in Cygwin, then it's a
Cygwin problem (though perhaps technically not a Cygwin bug).

I'll shut up now :)

Regards,

Dave