gcc on cygwin-1.3.2

Snider, Greg greg_snider@hp.com
Thu May 24 14:06:00 GMT 2001

Hello,

I just updated to cygwin-1.3.2 (running on NT) and am having problems
getting gcc to work. I get one or both of the following error messages:

     "gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cpp0': No such file or
directory"

     "/bin/ld: cannot open crt0.o: No such file or directory"

The cpp0.exe file exists in c:\cygwin\lib\gcc-lib\i686-pc-cygwin\2.95.3-4,
and crt0.o is in c:\cygwin\lib, but gcc and ld can't seem to find them.

All the other utilities seem to work fine, so I suspect I've failed to set a
critical environment variable or something else stupid. I've installed the
system in c:\cygwin, my path includes
c:\cygwin\bin;c:\cygwin\usr\bin;c:cygwin\usr\local\bin. My mount table looks
like this (for what it's worth):

c:\cygwin\bin on /bin type user (textmode)
c:\cygwin\etc on /etc type user (textmode)
c:\cygwin\lib on /lib type user (textmode)
c:\cygwin\usr on /usr type user (textmode)
a: on /a type user (textmode)
c: on / type user (textmode)
d: on /d type user (textmode)
i: on /i type user (textmode,noumount)
j: on /j type user (textmode,noumount)
k: on /k type user (textmode,noumount)
m: on /m type user (textmode,noumount)

The top level directories (c:\bin, c:\tmp, c:\etc, c:\var, c:\usr, ...) all
exist. Any pointers on what I did wrong?  Thanks for any help.

-Greg Snider
 Hewlett-Packard