inetd as a microsoft service can't find /etc/inetd.conf

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) lhall@rfk.com
Fri May 18 11:39:00 GMT 2001

At 02:05 PM 5/18/2001, Mark Keil wrote:

> [...]

What step is that?

>I have done this:
>
>   inetd -- install-as service
>
>   net start inetd  (and indeed two inetd'd run)
>
>   - The environment variable CYGWIN must be either set in the system
>     environment to be active from start on or you can set CYGWIN thru
>     the registry:
>     Under the key HKLM\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options
>     create a key of type REG_SZ (String) named like the full DOS path
>     to the application, eg. "C:\usr\bin\inetd.exe" and with the value
>     equal to the preferred CYGWIN settings, eg "binmode tty ntsec".
>
>I had to use the CYGWIN variable, since regedit just won;'t accept
>"\" in key names, so that documented step option seems just wrong.
>
>   - The system environment variable PATH must contain the path
>     to the directory which contains the cygwin1.dll.

Perhaps you want to submit a patch for this part of the documentation?

>Then there is this step, which doesn't make sense,
>and doesn't seem to be addressed in the user guide.
>Just what does this mean anyway?
>(and I have been using cygin for the last 2.5 years
>  without needing it as far as I can tell...)
>
>   - No user mount point is valid anymore! You have to install all
>     your mount points in the system mount table. This doesn't
>     change after you have logged in to a normal user account eg.
>     via telnet/rlogin. It's possible that we can use the user
>     mounts as soon as somebody contributes a patch to login and
>     ftp that allows loading a user hive into the registry after
>     authentication.

It means pretty much what Egor said.  Your mount points need to be
system-wide, not just on a per user basis.  Check out mount --help
for more information about this.