License, -mno-cygwin

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Thu May 17 12:26:00 GMT 2001

Arto Huusko wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've been using combination of DJGPP+RSXNTDJ for a long while, and after
> installing W2K the thing broke down. So, what about Cygwin...
>
> What I want to know: can I write and release propertiary applications
> compiled with and in cygwin environment, without making them GPL or
> open otherwise, if I specify for GCC -mno-cygwin?

As long as you don't add any other libraries than the ones you've
written and the ones already supplied then yes you can then distribute
your proprietary code without concern for licensing issues.  If you add
other libraries then the licensing that governs the use of those
libraries come into play and you will need to know how that affects you
by reading the specific library's license.

> And do I understand correctly that in effect, -mno-cygwin makes the
> app link only to Windows DLLs.

If it's only C yes, however C++ adds the libstdc++.a library which is a
static LGPL library with special clauses that allow you to use it with
your proprietary binaries.

> I do understand the fact that I'll break my ANSI compatible code with
> -mno-cygwin. But I can work (probably rather fight) my way through
> that.

You understand incorrectly.  The MinGW is ANSI compatible.  It isn't
POSIX compatible.

You should use the http://www.mingw.org site and join the mingw list.

--
Earnie.