SIGTERM does not stop backend postgres processes immediately

Fred Yankowski fred@ontosys.com
Tue May 15 09:05:00 GMT 2001

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 10:10:36AM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
> I just tried my Cygwin PostgreSQL 7.1.1 distribution against the latest
> Cygwin CVS and the above mentioned patch solves the postmaster shutdown
> problem.  Now Cygwin PostgreSQL behaves identical to UNIX PostgreSQL
> with regard to shutdown:

Wow, this is great!  It's a pleasure to see capable Cygwin developers
-- Corinna and Jason in particular, along with the others who posted
suggested ways to fix the problem -- dig in and solve problems.

> Your patch fixed case 2 above and I believe this is the last piece needed
> by Fred Yankowski to complete his PostgreSQL NT service patch.

I will resume work on that immediately.

The other problem I've been facing is how to handle the SIGHUP that
Cgywin generates in response to system shutdown.  Some quick tests
show that simply ignoring (SIG_IGN) the signal works, but that defeats
the use of SIGHUP to force the instance to re-read the configuration
file.  It may be, however, that fixing the recv() problem also fixes
the problem where getting a SIGHUP in the midst of stopping PostgreSQL
seemed to mess up the PostgreSQL state.  I'll check...

--
Fred Yankowski           fred@OntoSys.com      tel: +1.630.879.1312
Principal Consultant     www.OntoSys.com       fax: +1.630.879.1370