GCC 2.95.3-1 available for testing -- question for Earnie

Danny Smith danny_r_smith_2001@yahoo.co.nz
Sat Mar 24 20:10:00 GMT 2001

--- Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote: > On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at
02:21:07PM +1200, Danny Smith wrote:
> >> Sorry.  It searches /usr/includw/mingw/g++-3 explicitly.  Doesn't it
> >> make sense to put the mingw headers there?  Are the headers generic
> >> enough that this doesn't matter?
> >
> >The g++ headers in cygwin are *identical* to the ones that gcc make install
> put
> >in my mingw package.
>
> How have you verified that?  Did you actually diff the directories?

I have verified this with for 2.95.3. diff -urpb produces this:

"Only in /d/mingw/include/g++-3: dummy.h"
where dummy.h is a empty file I put into to verify that diff was working.

But....
changes involving _IO_fpos_t/_IO_off_t in libio.h (and other public headers) in
gcc-2.95.3 can cause backward compatability problems (with mingw, not cygwin)
if we patch the definitions in libio  .cc src files to match the new
prototypes, which is what it appears that you have done.  Eg.
istream::seekg(long long) in mingw 2.95.2 has become istream::seekg(long) in
2.95.3 beacuse of changes in typedef of streampos from __IO_fpos_t to
__IO_off_t. This problem only arises if we link objects compiled with 2.95.2
against the 2.95.3 libstdc++ .  I repeat this does not affect cygwin, only the
__MSVCRT__ version of mingw.

If -mno-cygwin  wants to retain backward compatabilty (at least until G++-v3
breaks it in a big way), perhaps mingw headers should be different (ie, revert
the type changes in libio.h).
Danny