CVS (v1.11) performance on Cygwin 1.1.8

Mark Allan Young myoung@intrinsic.com
Fri Mar 16 14:25:00 GMT 2001

> > Running cvs as 'cvs -t update' should give you a better feel for
> > what cvs is up to.  It's pretty verbose, but it makes it a little
> > easier to figure out cvs is doing.

First off, thanks to the few people who have responded.

Second, a couple of additional pieces of information:

We are not running any Virus Scan software.

I've found something interesting in running the two different versions
of cvs that I have (1.10.8 vs 1.11).

Switching back and forth between the two commands seems to slow them
both down pretty significantly...  running the same command two times
in a row, the second invocation is usually significantly faster than
the first.

using the trace command, I found that the first time I run a command,
it sends many of my (unmodified) files up to the server:

=
rune> time cvs -t update
cvs.exe update: notice: main loop with
CVSROOT=myoung@cvs.intrinsic.com:/d1/cvs-db
 -> Sending file `PackageMaker' to server
 -> Sending file `alchemyrelease.pl' to server
 -> Sending file `cadd' to server
 -> Sending file `cbeauty' to server
 -> Sending file `ccDocBuilder' to server
 -> Sending file `ccvs' to server
 -> Sending file `change_sed' to server
 -> Sending file `cin' to server
 -> Sending file `cinstall' to server
 -> Sending file `cjointci' to server
 -> Sending file `crRemover.dat' to server
 -> Sending file `crename-experimental' to server
 -> Sending file `crnl.txt' to server
 -> Sending file `cstrain' to server
 -> Sending file `ctree' to server
 -> Sending file `dspgen' to server
 -> Sending file `exedspgen' to server
 -> Sending file `fglgen' to server
 -> Sending file `nascheck' to server
 -> Sending file `newgapbuild' to server
 -> Sending file `subsPSX2forPsx2' to server
? update.out
cvs server: Updating .
S-> checkout (/d1/cvs-db/newgap/tools/ctools/PackageMaker,v, 1.31, ,
(function))
S-> server_register(PackageMaker, 1.31, Fri Mar 16 22:04:01 2001, , , , )
S-> Register(PackageMaker, 1.31, Fri Mar 16 22:04:01 2001, ,  )
-> Register(PackageMaker, 1.31, Fri Feb 02 19:52:14 2001, ,  )
S-> checkout (/d1/cvs-db/newgap/tools/ctools/alchemyrelease.pl,v, 1.2, ,
(function))
========

the next run doesn't (I run it two more times below):

========

rune> time cvs -t update
cvs.exe update: notice: main loop with
CVSROOT=myoung@cvs.intrinsic.com:/d1/cvs-db
? update.out
cvs server: Updating .
S-> rename(CVS/Entries.Backup,CVS/Entries)
S-> unlink(CVS/Entries.Log)

real    0m0.250s
user    0m0.020s
sys     0m0.010s
rune> time cvs -t update
cvs.exe update: notice: main loop with
CVSROOT=myoung@cvs.intrinsic.com:/d1/cvs-db
? update.out
cvs server: Updating .
S-> rename(CVS/Entries.Backup,CVS/Entries)
S-> unlink(CVS/Entries.Log)

real    0m0.300s
user    0m0.010s
sys     0m0.010s
rune>

========

but if I switch back to the cygwin version (the version above was the 1.10.8
version),
it sends the files again:

rune> time cvs.cygwin -t update
cvs.cygwin update: notice: main loop with
CVSROOT=myoung@cvs.intrinsic.com:/d1/cvs-db
 -> Starting server: rsh cvs.intrinsic.com -l myoung cvs server
[...]
S-> server_register(PackageMaker, 1.31, Fri Mar 16 22:08:56 2001, , , , )
S-> Register(PackageMaker, 1.31, Fri Mar 16 22:08:56 2001, ,  )
 -> Register(PackageMaker, 1.31, Fri Feb  2 19:52:14 2001, ,  )
S-> checkout (/d1/cvs-db/newgap/tools/ctools/alchemyrelease.pl,v, 1.2, ,
(function))

========

and, as above, subsequent runs do not send the file.

when I checked the CVS/Entries file between the two runs, I found the
following
difference:

rune> diff e.1 e.2
1c1
< /PackageMaker/1.31/Fri Feb  2 19:52:14 2001//
---
> /PackageMaker/1.31/Fri Feb 02 19:52:14 2001//

Notice that the date format is different...one uses a zero padded
number for the day of the month, and the other does not...this might
explain why switching between commands insists upon sending the files
to the server.  anyone know why the format changed?  the old cvs, 1.10.8
uses the zero padding.

since we're running an older version of the cvs server (1.10.7), I wonder
if this change in date format may be responsible for some confusion when
running the 1.11 version.  may be a total red herring, but I though I'd
point
it out.

assuming that this isn't the case, is anyone familiar with the logic that
the local cvs uses to do date checks when deciding whether or not to send
a file back to the server?  Why are the files sent back?  is there any way
to turn on more verbose messages from the trace command?