cross compiler for Cygwin

Mumit Khan khan@NanoTech.Wisc.EDU
Fri Mar 9 13:36:00 GMT 2001

On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> I wonder where people are getting the idea that Cygwin naturally handles
> cross compilation.  This is a rather odd idea and I don't see any hint
> of this in any of our documentation.

One possible reason may be due to the fact that various embedded tools
companies, such as RedHat/Cygnus and Wind River, use Cygwin extensively
as the x-development platform of choice for embedded systems (one of my
colleagues is still using cygwin b17 based embedded tools).

The other reason you see all these messages is because most users who are
starting out in the cross-dev area using Cygwin are usually not the "old
hats" who've been there and done that, and running into the usual sea
of misinformation regarding cross builds.

IMO it's to Cygwin's credit that developers want to use it as the
development platform for embedded tools, and we should certainly provide a
helping hand (for the host-specific parts of course, not the target bits
which has nothing to do with Cygwin).

Regards,
Mumit