Detecting the need for -mwin32 in newer cygwin gcc's

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Thu Mar 8 06:23:00 GMT 2001

Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On Mar  8, 2001, "Charles S. Wilson" <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> wrote:
>
> > So, by absorbing AC_PROG_GCC_USES_MWIN32, are you helping the GPL half,
> > or the proprietary half?
>
> > By refusing to absorb it, are you hurting the proprietary half, or the
> > GPL half?
>
> > Both, of course.
>
> > Which is more important?
>
> Autoconf is about portability across multiple platforms.  If you
> depend on MS-Windows proprietary libraries, there's not much hope for
> portability.  So, why use autoconf, in the first place?
>
> If you don't depend on MS-Windows proprietary libraries, then there's
> no reason for -mwin32.
>
> Or am I missing something about the effects of this new -mwin32 flag?

I don't think you're missing a thing and I agree with you.  It doesn't
belong in autocoonf.  This is a platform dependent issue that should be
handled in the platform dependent coding of Makefile.in and/or
configure.in.  The application maintainer/porter knows that the -mwin32
switch is needed and can make certain it gets added to CC or CFLAGS and
CXXFLAGS under the appropriate conditions.

I can't even understand how such a macro fits Autoconf.  I may need it
and I may not need it but Autoconf can't determine my needs it can only
determine what I have.

Earnie.