Tab completion broken in latest Cygwin snapshots

Gary R. Van Sickle tiberius@braemarinc.com
Tue Jun 26 20:03:00 GMT 2001

> "Gary R. Van Sickle" wrote:
> >
> > BASH tab completion hasn't worked on shell scripts in the
> snapshots since
> > cygwin1.dll went from ~700KB to ~900kb (what was the major
> addition?).
> > E.g., try to tab-complete the './configure' script of your favorite
> > package - it doesn't work.  Exe's tab-complete fine.
> cygcheck below.
>
> bash is smart. If the tab-completion is for the first "word"
> on a line,
> then bash assumes that you want an executable file -- so only those
> files marked executable (according to ls -l) are candidates for
> completion.  (.exe files are a special case and are always considered
> executable).  Is your ./configure script marked +x ?

No, and I can't chmod +x it either (it does nothing, script still ls -la's
as "rw-").  But doesn't the "./" override the +x check anyway?

> If the tab-completion is for anything other than the first "word" on a
> line, then bash assumes you are looking for any file to be used as the
> argument for the command specified by the first word.  Try this:
>
> $ foo conf<TAB>
>
> and you should see
>
> $ foo configure
>
> regardless of whether configure is marked +x.

Yep, that still works.  I'm guessing the executable-checking logic (in
stat()?) has changed recently and it's not catching "#!" files as executable
anymore.

Gary R. Van Sickle
Braemar Inc.
11481 Rupp Dr.