Cygwin + Debian

Christophe Prud'homme prudhomm@MIT.EDU
Tue Jun 26 15:29:00 GMT 2001

* Robert Collins  [Jeudi 21 Juin 2001 06:04 pm ]  :

  > Christophe, have you read the threads in cygwin-developers about this?
Nope not yet unfortunately

  > In summary there are 2 major issues with dpkg and cygwin today...
  > 1) FIFO support is required for dpkg.

  > 2) Win32 does not allow replacement of open files without a reboot (*And
  > the method is different for 9x/NT)
yes that's a problem I encoutered :(

  > I've looked into this extensively before, to understand what could be
  > done - I'd like to see setup.exe be able to bootstrap a dpkg
  > environment - but there is still a lot of work on cygwin's
  > "unix-like-ness" needed.
yes I got this idea while playing with setup.exe, Actually I just ssetup my own cygwin mirror
with some additional package of my own but tweaking setup.ini and it works really great
so bootstraping a dpkg env is definitely possible just create the right setup.ini
(I hope that I don't miss anything :) )

is there a plan about this?
do you need help?
I could help on this project, I am new to cygwin and windows but I am willing to
give some time

C.