set priority?

Ehud Karni ehud@unix.simonwiesel.co.il
Thu Jun 21 09:51:00 GMT 2001

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:45:43 -0400 (EDT), Brian Michael Genisio <genisiob@pilot.msu.edu> wrote:

> Is there a way through a cygwin tool to set the priority from normal to high or
> real in Windows?  I can do it through a shareware program, and it increases the
> efficiency of my app, but I want to do it in a script.  Any Ideas?

Yes. Here is a sample code that does it (tested).
#include <windows.h>                   /* for some specific Windoz calls */
   {
   HANDLE WinId ;
       WinId = GetCurrentProcess ( ) ;             /* get my Windows HANDLE */
       SetPriorityClass ( WinId , REALTIME_PRIORITY_CLASS ) ;  /* set priority to REAL TIME CLASS */
   }
The 4 defined priority classes are: NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS,
IDLE_PRIORITY_CLASS, HIGH_PRIORITY_CLASS, REALTIME_PRIORITY_CLASS.

Note. The include is from an old program, it might have changed to
<w32api/windows.h>, I did not compile it lately, and I can't do it here.

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni     Mivtach - Simon  Insurance   /"\
 Tel: +972-3-6212-757 Fax: +972-3-6292-544   \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign