Document file structure

Charles S. Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Wed Jun 20 20:13:00 GMT 2001

David A. Cobb wrote:

> I find that I have documentation in two places:
> /usr/doc/ProgramName-V.R.P/README [for example], and
> /usr/doc/Cygwin/ProgramName-V.R.P-README
>
> Is this by design or because of a change in the "proper" place to put
> things?
> It looks like duplication but I haven't checked with any precision.

Design.  The stuff in /usr/doc/ProgramName-V.R.P/ is the standard,
generic documentation that the package provides for all platforms.  The
READMEs in /usr/doc/Cygwin/ are cygwin-specific documentation written by
the cygwin porter/maintainer.

So, if you have a generic "How do I use cvs" question, then look in
/usr/doc/ProgramName-V.R.P/.  If you have a "How is cvs *different* on
cygwin w.r.t. other Unix platforms" type question, then look in
/usr/doc/Cygwin/.

--Chuck