inetd: install-as-service difficulty

Jonathan Bishop jbishop2112@yahoo.com
Fri Jun 8 17:15:00 GMT 2001

Hello, I recently installed cygwin 1.3.2 utilities
including inetutils on the C: drive of an NT4.0
machine. I can run inetd, telnetd and ftpd just fine
all in accordance with the inetutils README.

However, on E: drive of another similar NT 4.0 (same
build/service pack) machine, the

inetd --install-as-service

command fails to complete, although the cygwin
installation seems to be working fine in other
respects. Adding the debug option to inetd
yields one additional message about Service
Manager, but no obvious solution to problem.

Strangely, I am able to run inetd from the command
line, then telnetd from the command line, and then log
in to a telnet session. This seems to contradict
the README for inetutils, which says you can only
start inetd from command line in Win 95/98.

I can't find any mention of how to troubleshoot
this in the FAQ, mail archives or inetutils README.
Any
suggestions appreciated. Is there some known trick
within the NT environment variables or user
permissions that can block inetd --install-as-service?
Thanks,

Jonathan Bishop
jbishop@cmed.com