Augmenting cygwin woes

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Sat Jun 2 18:35:00 GMT 2001

On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 10:53:29AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> [...]

I don't understand what the confusion is.  We're seeing a new take on
the to-do list, apparently.

The majority of the submissions are from people who try to submit things
like "Why don't you add joe to cygwin??????????????????????????",
however we do get one or two people who submit items that actually have
something to do with the stated purpose of the page.  The page is not an
indication of anyone actively working on anything.  Hence the term "to
do".

I suggest that if you read the bottom of the page, where you get a
chance to submit a suggestion, it might be a little clearer what this
page is for.

>>Ok, but you see the reason for it.  What, for instance, do you do if
>>there is a program avaliable only for a previous version of cygwin that
>>you want to use on the same machine as an installation of the newest
>>version cygwin?  I understand that cygwin must act as a kernel of sorts
>>to allow IPC and global resource allocation, etc.
>
>As you understand that cygwin acts as a kernel of sorts, then it
>follows that running two kernels simultaneously won't work :].
>
>The cygwin ABI has not regressed since B20.1.  There should be no
>binaries that work under an older version that fail under a newer
>version.
>
>So the answer to "what do you do if.." is you don't.  You backup your
>old .dll and install the new one (from outside cygwin).

Right.  Newer cygwin versions are backwards compatible with older cygwin
versions.  It's the law.

However, you can force cygwin to use different shared memory regions if
you either 1) configure with --enable-debugging or 2) set the CYGWIN_TESTING
environment variable to some non-zero value.

This may cause subtle failures with synchronization betwen two processes
but it should be ok for testing.

cgf