Anybody really runs sshd in win2K?

Prentis Brooks prentis@aol.net
Fri Jul 27 10:39:00 GMT 2001

btw, Corinna is the porter for OpenSSH under Cygwin.  I have installed
sshd on my 2k professional system.  Here are the steps I followed:

1) Updated Cygwin via setup.exe
2) Ran ssh-host-config -y (which runs cygrunsrv, btw, Mike Erdely, if you
	are on this list, you may want to update that piece of your docs)
3) chown system.system /etc/ssh_host*_key
4) chmod 600 /etc/ssh_host*_key
5) Tested, could connect but not login since I did not have my domain user
	in /etc/passwd, ran mkpasswd -d | grep prentis > prentis then
	appended that entry to my /etc/passwd.
6) Logged into the 2k host from my Solaris box as prentis

I haven't tried to see if I can supercede my NT password with an /etc/passwd
or /etc/shadow entry, will test that next.

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Rael Gugelmin Cunha wrote:

>   Hi Corina! Who are you?
>   At moment, nobody help me with sshd.
>   I has install cygwin (full instalation) in Win2k and Win98. In Win98 I set
> (in autoexec.bat) cygwin=tty and in Win2k cygwin=ntsec. I run ssh-host-config
> command. Then, I use "crypt xxx" and insert the result in passwd. After, I
> execute the fixperms.sh script from Michael Ederly site (in Win2k). In Win98
> works well, but in Win2k, I try login via ssh2. I type my password, but is not
> work. SSHD run as service not work too.
>   Help me! Please!
>   Thanks,
>

>                                                   Rael...
>

> Citando Corinna Vinschen <cygwin@cygwin.com>:
>
> > On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 01:18:52PM -0300, Rael Gugelmin Cunha wrote:
> > >
> > >     I cannot. And, I posted messages to this list and to Michael
> > Ederly. I
> > > think this not works in Win2k, only in 98.
> >
> > It does. Daily usage under W2K makes me pretty sure.
> >
> > Corinna
> >
> > --
> > Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin
> > Cygwin Developer
> > mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
> > Red Hat, Inc.
> >
> > --
> >

> --

Prentis Brooks	| prentis@aol.net | 703-265-0914 | AIM: PrentisB
System Administrator - Web Infrastructure & Security

       A knight is sworn to valor.  His heart knows only virtue.  His blade
       defends the helpless.  His word speaks only truth.  His wrath undoes the
       wicked. - the old code of Bowen, last of the dragonslayers