love fun virus in setup.exe

David Starks-Browning starksb@ebi.ac.uk
Wed Jul 18 13:21:00 GMT 2001

On Wednesday 18 Jul 01, James E. LaBarre writes:
> However, it is useful for someone to report any AV application reporting
> viruses, if only to post in the appropriate places that it is a "false
> positive".  Occasionally uninfected files can be misreported.

Point taken, but I would say that the Cygwin list is *not* the
appropriate place to report a false positive.  Report false positives
to your antivirus software vendor.

The FAQ already talks about false positives during setup, so it's not
clear (to me) what is useful about such reports.

I'm not saying a virus in setup.exe is impossible, just very unlikely,
so it's appropriate to confirm the alert before reporting.  Once
confirmed, then by all means, do report it!

Cheers,
David
(Cygwin FAQ maintainer)