ssh stalls after completion of command

Corinna Vinschen cygwin@cygwin.com
Tue Jul 10 08:27:00 GMT 2001

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 02:26:21PM +0200, Frank Wuebbeling wrote:
> I'm trying to execute a single remote command on a Windows95 host with sshd
> running, from a LINUX box. While the command executes correctly, the prompt
> does not return (the connection is not given up), I have to press CTRL-C in
> the LINUX window to get my prompt back. The same thing happens when I log in
> from the local Windows95 box to itself:
>
> ssh -v localhost id

It's a known OpenSSH problem on various systems. I'm not sure if
the current 2.9p2 shows the same behaviour since I didn't follow
the OpenSSH developers mailing list during vacation. Moreover
there's still another problem in Cygwin related to select() calls
on pipes which nobody could track down to date.

Perhaps you have a chance when you compile OpenSSH by yourself
using socketpairs instead of pipes. Unfortunately socketpairs
are way slower and they don't work on all systems apparently.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.