CRON and time

Michael Schaap cygwin@mscha.com
Tue Jul 10 04:11:00 GMT 2001

At 12:27 10-7-2001, you wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 12:59:01AM +0200, Michael Schaap wrote:
> > I just installed the new cron package (cron-3.1.0-3), but now crontab
> dumps
> > core on me.  This happens with "crontab -e" after saving the file, and
> with
> > "crontab filename".  "crontab -l" works fine.
>
>Thanks for the report. I think I have found the problem. My muddling
>around with the environment was good for cron but unfortunately not for
>crontab. I think I have fixed it and additionally it is less intrusive
>then my yesterday's solution. At least it doesn't crash anymore
>for me and cron still works.
>
>Are you interested to make a quick test?

Sure.

It works fine - both cron and crontab compile and run.

However, one thing is funny.  My test crontab had a command like "date >>
/tmp/hello.txt", and that behaves slightly different with this version of cron.
When I run date from the cron-3.0.1-2 version, or when I run date from the
command line, I get output like:
         Tue Jul 10 12:49:29  2001
But when I run it with this freshly compiled cron, I get:
         Tue Jul 10 12:49:00 T-1 2001
I guess both are incorrect, from a UNIX point of view, and the second one
is actually a bit better than the first one...

  - Michael