Having problems to start cygwin

Peter Buckley peter.buckley@cportcorp.com
Tue Jul 3 06:52:00 GMT 2001

This is probably in the faq or readme on installation.
Did you follow all the instructions to install?-

DOCS:                  http://cygwin.com/docs.html

My first bet would be that you don't have C:\cygwin\bin
in your system PATH variable.

I don't have win2k, so I don't know if setting the PATH
variable is the same as NT- but I am pretty sure you
will need to reboot for the new setting to take effect.

In NT, I right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties."
Then I click the "Environment" tab, and select the PATH variable
from the list of system variables. I add C:\cygwin\bin at the end,
separated by a semi-colon.

-Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Karl Johan Larsson [ mailto:i96karla@island.liu.se ]
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2001 9:19 AM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Having problems to start cygwin

I downloaded cygwin (all packages) on to my machine just to get to
know the bash shell a bit better (I don't have access to a UNIX
machine so I figured that this was my way to learn something about
sell scripting). I am running Win 2000 on this machine

Installation seemed to work fine but when I try to start the
application (by executing the cygwin.bat-file from cmd prompt) i get
the return message:
'bash' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
program or batch file.

Thus I can't get the bash shell to work.

What have I done wrong here? How do I fix it? If this question has
been answered before on this mailing list, I ask for your patience and
a link to where I can get a description of what to do.

Regards
Kallis, Sweden