-mno-cygwin and c++ stl... progress?

Mumit Khan khan@NanoTech.Wisc.EDU
Tue Jan 30 12:38:00 GMT 2001

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Christopher Abbey wrote:

> Seeing the assert.h patch flow by reminded me that a while ago
> (November maybe?) Earnie mentioned something about work being
> under way to enable the subject combination by way of some
> additional packages for the libraries needed to compile for
> msvc targets. I was just wondering how that work had progressed?

I'm not I understand what you're referring to. Contrary to some
opinion out there, -mno-cygwin *in general* does not work for C++
code unless you have the appropriate target libraries from Mingw
distribution. The reason is twofold -- (1) libgcc.a built for Cygwin
may or may reference __impure_ptr from Cygwin DLL even if you don't
*think* you're using exceptions (long story, the keyword here is
inhibit_libc), and (2) the C++ runtime library for Cygwin and Mingw
are *not* compatible.

> I've been using the mingw builds Mumit has on xraylith, but
> have noticed some, uh, "issues" with them and was wondering
> if the time was right to look at a different cross compiling
> environment. (Mo setup the one I'm using now, so it's functional
> within limits....)

Please elaborate on the issues so that I can remedy these.

Regards,
Mumit