tar ball with illegal file names

Mumit Khan khan@NanoTech.Wisc.EDU
Mon Jan 29 15:23:00 GMT 2001

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> tar --to-stdout -xf foo.tar foo:bar > foobar

This is a great trick that I certainly didn't remember when the
original question came up. Thanks.

I remember thinking about this issue a while back, especially
because my own software package has (had rather) filenames with
colons (common in a section of VLSI CAD community way back)
as well as directories called aux and such. I had considered a
"translation table" that will map illegal names to something that
will be understood by underlying OS when extracting the archive,
and creating a "map" file in each directory that will contain the
translation to the original name.  When creating the archive, the
map file will do the reverse translation. I did patch cvs to do
this back in B19 days, but who knows where that code is. Does this
sound like something worthwhile? fyi, gcc implements a very similar
mechanism, using a map file named header.gcc.

Regards,
Mumit