setup

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Fri Jan 26 09:11:00 GMT 2001

Jim Balter wrote:

> Earnie Boyd wrote:
> >
> > If *you* can do it better, then please *do*.  Submit a patch, complete
> > the assignment forms and your patch will be gratefully considered.  Oh,
> > and don't forget to have *your* QA engineers test it.
>
> In other words, you aren't really interested in user feedback
> or improving your creations.

No.  It's not my creation.  It's a Cygwin user community creation.  You
own it as much as I do.

> > That aside, why would you change the way setup installed it in the first
> > place?
>
> Because I got better results in certain situations by using a symlink.
> Its really a rather foolish question to ask.

You may consider it foolish to ask such questions to a fool, I don't.
Since as you state later that you've been programming for 35 years, you
should know by now that you have to live within the bounds of the
software or change that software.  If you're not willing to change or
just can't then you must live with the limitations.

> > Especially, if you plan to use the same tool to upgrade your
> > software.
>
> I had actually hoped that the tool might have gotten better
> in subsequent releases

Since the software is owned by the Cygwin community, and since the
support for Cygwin comes from volunteers, if you wait for some else in
the community to make the changes you desire, then it isn't going to
happen.  You're the one that wants the change.  The source is supplied.
Change it.

>, but I was careful to write a script
> to restore my configuration after running setup in case it
> idioticly destroyed it again.

Ah, a fallback plan.

> I've been programming for
> 35 years and I know how to deal with crap, but I don't have
> to like it or approve of it.

As already stated, if you don't like it, then create patches for
consideration.

> You of course can feel free
> to ignore this because I'm obviously a troublemaker with
> an attitude, but if you had any inner moral strength
> you would add this to your bug list.

I don't have a Cygwin bug list.  I don't even consider it a bug.  This
is a design consideration and it works as designed so how can it be a
bug.

Cheers,
Earnie.