pthreads on Cygwin

Dave Brolley gronbog@home.com
Tue Jan 23 13:44:00 GMT 2001

Looking at it a little more closely, it looks like pthread.h was written for Cygwin,
and unconditionally defines all the pthread related types and functions, but is now
depending on sys/features.h to set the _POSIX_* macros.

sys/types.h also defines defferent versions of these same types but only for
__rtems__and sys/features.h does define the _POSIX_* macros, but also only for
__rtems__.

Dave

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 06:13:46PM -0500, Dave Brolley wrote:
>Hi,
>
>According to the online documentation, basic pthread support is
>available on Cygwin:
> http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/cygwin-api/std-posix.html#AEN85
>
>I've found and #included <pthread.h> in /usr/include/pthread.h, however,
><sys/features.h>, found in /usr/include/sys/features.h, only turns on
>_POSIX_THREADS if
>a macro named __rtems__ is defined. Similarly for the thread support in
><sys/types.h>.
>
>Is this a bug in the headers or is thread support really not there for
>vanilla Cygwin? I'm using version 1.1.7 on Windows 95. (Actually, it's a
>snapshot from Jan 10 -- I as trying to avoid the "cygwin hangs after
>'sed' in 'libtool' during builds problem). I was told by an insider that
><pthread.h> and <sys/features.h> were only recently added.

>From the ChangeLog, pthread.h has been around for more than a year.
sys/features.h was introduced by Joel Sherrill on 2000-12-11, apparently
to handle rtems.  Apparently he didn't get the cygwin part right.

cgf