openssh ssh using bash loses control of terminal

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Tue Jan 23 08:17:00 GMT 2001

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> Charles Wilson wrote:
> >
> > This is because you are running in a DOS box locally, and the remote app
> > is using (a remote version of) ncurses.  The DOS box ain't linux.  What
> > you want to do is set TERM=cygwin, but then you need to instruct the
> > remote machine in what "cygwin" means
> > .  Download the following file:
> >
> > http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/cygwin.terminfo
> >
> > which is an excerpt from the ncurses-5.2-4-src.tar.gz terminfo.src.  Put
> > cygwin.terminfo on the remote machine, and run 'tic cygwin.terminfo' on
> > that machine.  This should create a partial terminfo database in
> > ~/.terminfo/* on the remote machine, "teaching" it about TERM=cygwin.
> >

> Be sure to `export TERMINFO='~/.terminfo'' in order for tic to put this
> in your home directory.  Chuck, you needed to include all dependency
> definitions.  Dependencies can be found from a search of `use='.

Hmmm...I thought that if tic could not write to the system default
terminfo database, then it used ~/.terminfo as a fallback automatically.
Ditto for programs that use ncurses: I thought they looked in the system
location AND in ~/.terminfo without the need for a special TERMINFO
variable setting.  Am I wrong?

w.r.t. dependency definitions, I thought I had included all the necessary
ones.  I'll check again.

--Chuck