openssh ssh using bash loses control of terminal

Seth Delackner seth@jtan.com
Mon Jan 22 21:16:00 GMT 2001

Whenever I ssh into a remote linux box and run 'mutt' or 'vi' and press ':' to enter a special command, my terminal goes ballistic sending the characters '6' and 'c' endlessly.

I am running Bash 2.04.5(12) and OpenSSH version 2.3.0p1.  I have TERM=linux, CYGIN='ntsec tty'.  I've just gotten through a few hours of searching the mailing list archive getting sshd to run as a service, so I really don't want to delve back in to debug this.  Any help would be appreciated.